Best Elixir Online Courses
Table of Contents
Created by José Valim, one of the Ruby on Rails core team members, Elixir is built on the tried and tested Erlang Beam (Virtual Machine). With cherry picked features from other modern languages such as Clojure, Ruby and Python, etc. it’s a joy to use, and makes functional programming much more accessible.
Erlang was built from the ground up, to get distributed, and fault-tolerant computing “right”. Elixir inherits these qualities, and packages it up in a beautiful modern language, with excellent tooling and access to all the existing Erlang libraries.
If you want to understand how Whatsapp, with less than 60 engineers, can send double the text messages of all the Telecoms companies put together, then come and learn Elixir. It’ll be fun!
What can you build with Elixir:
* Websites with Phoenix
* Microservices and APIs
* IoT devices, with the Nerves project – write and manage the client and the server
* Use all the cores on your computer
* Build concurrent event driven services, ideal for Robotics, etc.
If you are new to Elixir, or if you’ve been working to learn it but sometimes feel like you still don’t quite ‘get it’, this is the Elixir course for you! To learn Elixir and Phoenix you have to understand them.
- Learn how to use Elixir’s built-in library to clean up your code
- Master the differences between functional and object oriented programming
- Grasp all of the different pieces of syntax in common Elixir programs
- Build interesting and challenging projects that have practical uses
- Develop a web app using Phoenix that can be expanded in a variety of different ways
- Go behind the scenes of Phoenix and learn how the internals work
- Master the OAuth flow by authenticating users with the Github Public OAuth service
- Practice working with databases by integrating Postgres into your app
I’ve built the course that I would have wanted to take when I was learning Elixir and Phoenix. A course that explains the concepts and how they’re implemented in the best order for you to learn and deeply understand them.
Elixir is a functional, concurrent, general-purpose programming language that runs on the Erlang virtual machine (BEAM). Elixir builds on top of Erlang and shares the same abstractions for building distributed, fault-tolerant applications.
- Functional Programming
- Erlang compatible
Elixir runs on the Erlang VM giving developers complete access to Erlang’s ecosystem, used by companies like Heroku, WhatsApp, Klarna, Basho and many more to build distributed, fault-tolerant applications. An Elixir programmer can invoke any Erlang function with no runtime cost
In this course i will be teaching basic concepts of elixir, getting started with elixir and how to write programs in elixir.
Best Elixir Books:
#1 The Little Elixir & OTP Guidebook 1st Edition by Benjamin Tan Wei Hao
#2 Metaprogramming Elixir: Write Less Code, Get More Done (and Have Fun!) 1st Edition by Chris McCord
#3 Learn Functional Programming with Elixir: New Foundations for a New World (The Pragmatic Programmers) 1st Edition by Ulisses Almeida
#4 Programming Elixir 1.3: Functional |> Concurrent |> Pragmatic |> Fun 1st Edition by Dave Thomas
#5 Introducing Elixir: Getting Started in Functional Programming 2nd Edition by Simon St.Laurent & J. David Eisenberg
#6 Functional Web Development with Elixir, OTP, and Phoenix: Rethink the Modern Web App 1st Edition by Lance Halvorsen